Compost Toxicity in Dogs
Believe it or not, compost contains some pretty nasty toxins thanks to some of the bacteria and fungi that do a great job of breaking down the wastes.
Some of the by-products of whole process can affect the nervous system of greedy dogs looking to eat some of those freshly placed scraps.
Symptoms of Compost Toxicity
- Hypersensitive to noises and bright lights
- Panting and drooling
- Tremoring/shaking all over
- Convulsions and death
This may involve making the dog vomit the compost using special drugs, or if too weak, a stomach pump being used.
IV fluids and sedation are required and the patient needs to be in a nice quiet room with no noise and/or bright lights.
Most dogs make a good recovery if treated early.
Make sure your compost areas are safely fenced off from those greedy canine friends.